- Brooklyn Bail Fund:
- “Brooklyn Community Bail Fund secures the freedom of New Yorkers who would otherwise be detained pretrial due to their poverty alone”.
- They have a statement regarding bailouts for ongoing protestors arrested in the #JUSTICEFORGEORGEFLOYD marches in NYC – “We are committed to liberating those arrested in current demonstrations against police violence and will coordinate our intervention with community members, grassroots organizations, other bail funds, and public defenders.” The full statement can be read here.
- Bronx Bailout Fund:
- “Founded in 2007, The Bronx Freedom Fund was the first of its kind effort to disrupt the injustice of cash bail in New York City by posting bail for thousands of low-income New Yorkers incarcerated before trial. Through its decade-long effort to transform pretrial justice in New York, The Bronx Freedom Fund reunited thousands of families separated by bail, while pioneering the revolving bail fund model as a tool in the fight against mass incarceration and the criminalization of race and poverty.”
- Minnesota Freedom Fund:
- The Minnesota Freedom Fund is bailing out protesters arrested in the demonstrations. They’re also asking people to call the District Attorney (Mike Freeman) and Minnesota Mayor (Jacob Frey) to demand a release of the detained protestors.
- Northstar Health Collective is providing healthcare and other resources to activists and organizers on the ground. Donate Here.
- Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en La Lucha – “a Minneapolis worker’s center, is taking donations of food and money to support organizers and helping pressure local government.” Donate Here.
- Read more about how to help directly in Minneapolis Here.
- Madison Wisconsin Bailout GoFundMe (Still need to reach their goal!)
- “Local activists from Freedom Inc , Urban Triage , PSL and FreeThe350BailFund are asking for support in raising funds to bail out protesters. We will also be raising funds to cover their legal expenses. People are being arrested right now – Saturday, May 30th, 2020. We need funds immediately and in the current days as we expect protests to continue.”
- Louisville Bail Fund:
- There have been three straight nights of protests for #GeorgeFloyd and #BreonnaTaylor in Louisville, Kentucky. Read more here.
- Atlanta Solidarity Fund:
- “A fund to support people in Atlanta who have been arrested for taking action against social injustice. Focused primarily on bailing out arrestees, with priority for those who have the most need.
- Colorado Freedom Fund:
- “The Colorado Freedom Fund is the result of the constituent-led work that Front Range Colorado activists have been building for years. We are proud of what we’ve accomplished together, and are honored to work towards our community goals: (1) ending money bail in Colorado; while (2) mitigating its harmful effects on our people, until cash bond is a thing of the past.”
- Philadelphia Bailout Fund:
- “The mission of the Philadelphia Community Bail Fund is to end cash bail in Philadelphia. Until that day comes, we post bail for residents of Philadelphia who cannot afford to pay for their freedom. We work to bring to light the inequities of the use of cash bail in Philadelphia and advocate for the abolition of bail and pretrial detention in our city.”
- The Legal Rights Center. – “Provides criminal defense and legal services for low-income people of color in and around Minneapolis, including arrested protesters.” Click Here to donate.
- National Bailout Funds:
- The Bail Project aims to mitigate incarceration rates through bail reform. Donate Here.
- Comprehensive List of Bailout funds by City
- Another Nationally comprehensive list:
Defunding the Police/Policy Change:
- Defund12 in New York, NY – “Email government officials and council members to reallocate egregious police budgets towards education, social services, and dismantling racial inequality. This page already opens a drafted letter for you.”
- Reclaim the Block, a Minnesota organisation that lobbies for defunding the police and re-routing funds to affordable housing, health, violence prevention, civil right and renter protections. Donate here. Sign the petition to defund the police here.
- The Black Visions Collective is a Minnesota Black Lives Matter affiliate dedicated to “safe, autonomous black communities across Minnesota.” Donate here.
- Black Lives Matter petition for defunding the police calls for radical and sustainable solutions that challenge systemic racism against Black bodies. Sign the petition here.
- Take Action Minnesota – Justice for George Floyd Statement & Resources
- “TakeAction Minnesota is a multi-racial people’s organization building power for a government and economy that works for all of us. We’re a hub for Minnesota’s progressive movement, bringing together people and organizations to make more politically possible.”
- NAACP Legal Fund and Educational Fund, Inc
- A “ not-for-profit legal organisation fighting for racial justice. Through litigation, advocacy, and public education, LDF seeks structural changes to expand democracy, eliminate disparities, and achieve racial justice in a society that fulfills the promise of equality for all Americans”
- Donate here.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality, “which operates a crisis hotline where people can report abuse; offer legal, medical, and psychological resources referrals; and engages in political action against police brutality.” Donate here.
- The ACLU, “provides legal services and support for a board range of people with civil rights complaints.” Donate here.
- Unicorn Riot, “is a not-for-profit organisation that is dedicated to exposing root causes of dynamic social and environmental issues.” Donate here.
- Campaign Zero is an “online platform and organisation that utilises research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.” Donate here.
- https://8cantwait.org/ – “Data proves that together these eight policies can decrease police violence by 72%. See how many policies your city has enacted and take action now.”
NYU Local has a list of Petitions relevant to the ongoing movement that can be signed. Links and descriptions are provided below as well.
- White House Petition Demanding Justice For George Floyd – demands the arrests and prosecution of the officers involved. Click Here to sign.
- This Color of Change petition demands that the officers who killed George Floyd be charged with murder. Click Here to sign.
- “Officer Derek Chauvin has been arrested and charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter. There are still three other officers,Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng, who must also be charged for participating in George’s murder. And currently, dozens of protestors have been detained and arrested for peacefully protesting. We’re calling for County Attorney Michael Freeman to press murder charges against all three other officers and release the protestors immediately.”
- This Color of Change petition demands that the officers who murdered Breonna Taylor be fired. Click Here to sign.
- This Reclaim the Block Petitions demands that the Minneapolis City Council defund the police. Click Here to sign.
- Click here to demand action on police accountability and racial justice.
- Bucknell Anti-Racism Fund
- “Supports campus-wide anti-racism and anti-bias efforts including but not limited to: facilitator training, resource materials, curriculum development, and faculty, staff and student education and programming. Bucknell is striving to cultivate an academic environment that is socially just, equitable, inclusive, accessible and diverse.”
- Northstar Funders Group
- “WBC in partnership with Northside Funders Group will direct all donations to support Northside businesses that have been impacted by COVID-19 and the recent uprising.”
- Midway United fund
- “The Neighbors United Funding Collaborative is helping the Midway + Union Park small business and nonprofit community rebuild their storefronts during this time of need. Hundreds of businesses have been devastated and need our support! Your donation will help rebuild our community in the months ahead.”
- Midtown Minneapolis repair fund
- “The Midtown Global Market, along with many businesses along Lake Street, need your support to rebuild and heal our neighborhood. All donations will go directly to help repair the damage and to help rebuild our small businesses throughout our community.”
Info/Twitter threads on businesses harmed/looted:
- Where to Donate in Support of Protest and Recovery Efforts Across the Country
Resources from/for Protesters/Organizers:
- Sunrise Movement listing #BlackLivesMatter related upcoming events/protests. Click Here to find something near you or to add to the list.
- How to Film the Police Safely
- Protesting Safely During a Pandemic
- Protesting during a Pandemic (ACLU)
- CALL 1-833-346-6322 if arrested or witness an arrest and want lawyer assistance immediately – GoodCallNYC
- Know Your Rights During Covid-19
- Struggling Beyond the Streets
- Author of this comprehensive document has a detailed section on protesting and social media tips
If Not Us Then Who
Live Another Day - Extensive information on mental health and substance use resources for people of color. Their mission is equal access to life-saving resources. They have guides for black, Latinx, Asian, and native people.
Detox Local - An extensive list of mental health and substance use resources specifically for the AAPI (American Asian and Pacific Islander) community.
Sunshine Behavioral Health - A resource guide that was created to discuss the impact of Racism and Discrimination on the Mental Health of our Black Communities.